Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"I did it! I go potty!"

The past 2 weeks have been crazy here at the LaBiosa household.  And when I say crazy, I mean me. Both boys were sick w/ ear infections and Ethan had a light case of pneumonia and then a couple of days later I got a cold. And when your prego, your cold seems to be more miserable then ever, plus it lasts so much longer! Last week I went through a lot of restless nights and was up alot in the middle of the night. Of course waking up so often at night plays a toll on you during the day. Thankfully I was able to squeeze a nap in every now and then (when Ethan cooperated) Thankfully the boys got over their sickness rather quickly and were back to their normal sleeping schedules. On top of all that, I had planned on starting potty training Ethan last week and then when we all got sick I had to take the lazy approach to potty training. It started off well in the beginning b/c I was too tired to even push it and he did it all on his own. However, toward the end of the week, he lost interest and I couldn't get him to even "practice" so he was back in diapers over the weekend. On Monday I decided that I was going to buckle down and just do it and get it over with! I really wasn't looking forward to fighting him b/c he can be pretty stubborn, so I did a lot of praying before I started so that I wouldn't lose my mind lol. My new rule was no more diapers and no pull ups unless he went to sleep. He fought me a little on the diaper thing but after using one of his friends as an example of being a big boy and wearing big boy pants, he gave in and wore his training pants. For the rest of that day he showed interest, went to the potty on his own and only had 2 accidents. He did so well and I was so happy!
Today was a new day and I knew the next step was getting him to do #2 in the potty. This was going to be a challenge for sure. All morning I kept watching him and whenever he'd try and run off by himself I'd catch him and try and get him to go to the potty. He fought me on this alot and so a couple of times I just gave up and left him alone. I kept explaining to him what he needed to do and just hoped that maybe he'd go on his own. I even gave him his video learning game and had him sit on the potty and I shut the door to see if it would give him the privacy he wanted lol..didn't work but at least he sat on it for a while. Just when I decided to take a break and make lunch, we all headed downstairs and w/i 5 min he told me he had to go pee, so we headed back upstairs. Then he told me he couldn't do it after t;rying after a min or so. I told him to just wait a little longer and I walked out of the bathroom and shut the door to see what he'd do. Shortly after I heard his potty song going off and then he comes running out yelling "I did it, I pooped!" haha It was exciting and gross all at the same time! So we ended up having another successful potty training day. I only hope he continues to get better and doesn't backslide. So far so good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment