Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Can we say, "pee-pee"?

I have been holding back on potty training Ethan because to be honest..I have no desire to teach him yet lol. Call me lazy or just too busy, either way I am planning on waiting. He's been showing some signs that he could be ready but not all of them. We had bought him a potty a while back just so he could play with it and get used to it. I ended up putting it away for about a month b/c he just really wasn't showing any interest in it. Once I brought it back out he's been sitting, playing, and noticing it more. One day I just asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty so we took his diaper down and he just sat. He laughed the whole time but did nothing. So like I said I haven't really been enforcing it at all and just figured he'll let me know when he's ready.
Well I had done some reading and heard that some parents' kids poop at regular times and they would just sit their toddler on the toilet and get them to poo in the potty. Ethan doesn't have a regular cycle but I do usually know when he has to "poo". He likes to hide! So he was getting behind the couch today and I just thought maybe I'd try it. So I quickly grabbed him and placed him on the toilet to see if he'd poop. The boy just giggled the whole time so I gave up and put him on his potty. I walked away to give him privacy and all of a sudden I heard the potty song playing! The only way for it to go off is if pee or poop touches the sensors at the bottom of the potty. I quickly got really excited and grabbed the toilet paper to get ready to wipe him. Well he wasn't ready to get off yet so I just assumed he was still going. After about 3 min he finally got up and when I looked in the potty, there was no poop..but pee pee!! I was so excited for him! He just looked at me like whats the big deal? haha I was trying to act out of the ordinary so he'd want to do it again so we'll see if it worked. Anyway, I think his favorite part was watching me poor it in the toilet and letting him flush it away.
So that's our 1st potty experience. Am I going to start potty training him now? Probably not. I think I may just do this method at least once a day and see if he'll show interest in it. I'm going to try and not stress myself out over potty training b/c it'll happen eventually.